Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Judith's Bout of Books 9.0 Wrap-up


HELLO EVERYBODY!!!! 

I hope you all had a great weekend! We here at The Cozy Corner have been pretty busy this past week with life and reading for the read-a-thon so we haven't been able to post much at all! We are terribly sorry about that and we will be resuming frequent posts right away! So don't FRET! :) 

Now on to what everyone is here for...how did the read-a-thon go???! 

It went GREAT!!! I had so much fun this time around. I didn't really feel any pressure since the only goal I had really set for myself was to try to read 4 books. Plus, having Kristy participating in it with me made it even more fun since we kept each other company while reading! I ended up reading 5 books, 1 novella, and a couple of pages of another book! I am really happy with this! It is the most I have EVER read in a week, with a total of 1,114 pages. Not to mention that I practically LOVED everything I read! But let's move on to what I actually read:

The first book I read was Looking for Alaska by John Green! I finally got around to picking this one up and I have to say I can see why so many people love this one. I don't know why but I had a preconceived notion of what is was going to be about, and of course it was nothing like what I thought. In a GOOD way! This was a good start to the read-a-thon since I read it all on Monday! I will be posting a review of this one later this week and further explaining what I thought about it but I am definitely looking forward to reading more of John Green's books! 




The second book I picked up was Angelfall by Susan Ee! OMG! OMG! I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! I can't stress it enough! I went in to this one with no real expectations because I have never really read an Angel book and wasn't sure if I would enjoy it, but I had heard so many great things about it that I gave it a shot. If you asked me what I one book I am most glad that I bought ever, it might have to be this one! It was terrifying and so good and action packed! The take on Angels and the world building were excellent! I will also be posting a review on this one later this week and I have a little treat to include: a paragraph ramble I wrote right after I finished it! I need the next one in the series NOW!


The third book I read was Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. This one was not originally on my TBR for the read-a-thon but I was really in the mood to read it so I picked it up. I really enjoyed this one a lot! I loved the unique writing style that Tahereh uses and I thought there were so many great characters with so much depth to them. I know everyone is team Warner but I have only read this one and so far I have to be team Adam! I have been assured that changes later on so we will see! I think I might pick up the Novella sometime this week or next week. And can we please just stare at that cover for a minute...I kept getting so distracted by it while I was reading it!


The fourth book I read was Stuff Every Man Should Know by Brett Cohen. This was a random pick for me as well. My boyfriend got this for Christmas and of course I was going to read it, it being a book and all! This is a book by Quirk Books and they make a lot of these fun books on various topics. I thought this was a quick and fun read and I did learn a couple new things! I do think that most of the stuff in the book EVERYONE should know although there were a couple things thrown in there for guys. Either way this makes for a fun and cute gift! I don't think I am going to do a proper review for this one unless someone really wants one.



The fifth and last full novel I read was Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this book!!! This was another big surprise for me. I have not read books about Time Travel before except  for The Time Machine by H.G. Wells and lets just say I am not the biggest fan of that book. I totally fell in love with this book from the first chapter! The writing and dialogue was so hilarious and fun! The book takes place in London and so I read the entire book out loud in a British accent...I know...I am weird! But it was sooooo much FUN! I loved the story as well and the history involved! I cannot wait to pick up the sequel!!! 



After Ruby Red I wasn't in the mood to pick up another novel right away so I decided to pick up Life Before Legend by Marie Lu. This is the Novella that comes with the Legend box set. It is actually two Novellas, one about Day and one about June. They were good extra reads to learn a little more about the characters. Even thought I am a bigger fan of Day, I really enjoyed June's novella a lot more. I thought you learned a lot more about who she was and we got to see some more of her brother Metias. Overall a good extra read! 




The last book I picked up was Pieces of You by Tablo. This is actually a re-read for me. I originally read this book about 5 years ago and thought it would be a good time to give it a re-read. This is a collection of ten short stories by Tablo who is the main singer in a Korean Hip Hop group called Epik High. This is not a translation though. He is fluent in English as well and wrote it as such. I really enjoyed it the first read through. It is some what of a dark read but very good and thought provoking. I only got to page 64 during the read-a-thon but plan to keep on reading it this week. 



OKAY, so that is all I read during the read-a-thon!!! Like I said earlier, I am extremely happy with how much I read not to mention how much I enjoyed everything! I can't wait until the next read-a-thon! 

This week we have a couple posts coming your way! 

*Our Genre Spotlight on Contemporary
*Our weekly Cozy Reads 
*Kristy's reviews of Daughter of Smoke & Bone and The Raven Boys
*My reviews of Looking for Alaska and Angelfall

Hope you guys have a great week! Let me know what you guys are currently reading!

Judith <3













No comments:

Post a Comment