Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Being A Mood Reader

Hey lovely readers!

I wanted to pop in for a bit and tell you about a little struggle I sometimes have. I am a complete and utter mood reader. What do I mean by that? Well, simply put, if I'm not in the mood for it I won't read it. End of story.

Now, for the most part this isn't too big a deal. I simply never make set TBR's for that reason, and I am fine with that. But every now and then a themed read-a-thon comes along and I get all excited about joining in UNTIL I remember that I won't be able to stick to it. I might make it through one or two books in my list if I am lucky but I am sure to deviate.

How bad is it really? Well, my boyfriend makes fun of me because I will sit in front of my bookshelf for a good 30 minutes and stare at it until a book calls out to me. Sometimes not even one does. I might be reading a great book and get a sudden urge to pick up another one and devour it in one sitting. This was the case last week when in the middle of Spell Bound (which I was totally LOVING btw) I had a sudden urge to read To All the Boys I've Loved Before. Then as soon as I was done I picked up Alienated only to put it down half way so that I could finish Spell Bound. Kooky I know!

I started thinking about this yesterday because I was REALLY excited about the AYEARATHON
read-a-long that is going on this week. The theme is finishing up or catching up on series. I thought GREAT I can pick up Prodigy and Champion by Marie Lu and finish up the series! Except I picked up Prodigy last night and couldn't get past the FIRST chapter! I had ZERO interest in it. So what was I in the mood for? City of Bones, which I have owned for THREE years and never been in the mood to pick it up! Am I the only one that does this??! 

I am still telling myself that I am participating in the read-a-thon because who knows, I might pick up something else that DOES fall into the theme later on this week. As for all you lovely readers out there who CAN stick to TBR's I commend you. Apparently the books control my will power. But I am not complaining. 95% of the time I love or really like what I read and I think that is mainly because that is what I want to be reading at that moment. I guess for me it is better this way than reading a book and not enjoying it because I wasn't in the mood for it.

What kind of reader are you?
Let me know which you prefer so maybe I won't feel like the only weird one! :)

~Judith

1 comment:

  1. surprisingly i rarely have this.. i generally stick pretty well to my tbr. I always have at least 5 review books that i need to get through per month so i guess i've sort of trained myself to be in the mood for whichever book i need to read.. however sometimes I DO feel the need to pick up a contemporary or a cheer me up and i generally do that. However i never read two books at the same time.. ever. I HAVE to finish the book i'm currently reading no matter what. I've no idea why but i can never make myself do that. Still, i know a ton of people who are mood readers so you're not alone!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete