Monday, February 24, 2014

Diving into the Unknown

Hello lovely readers!

Today I wanted to talk a bit about diving into the unknown, by which I mean reading various genres you normally don't. I know many people find a genre or two where they are comfortable and tend to stick to it, there isn't anything wrong with this, people should read what they enjoy. Personally, I like to dive into as many genres as I can. There are so many hidden gems that I would hate to miss out on any. That being said, there are still quite a few I have never read from or have read very little from.

The first genre I would love to jump into is Steampunk! I don't know too much at all about this genre but I did win the first two books in the Clockwork Empire series. The first one being The Doomsday Vault by Steven Harper. The novel and the genre in general sound so interesting and whimsical and I hope to get to it soon!






The second genre is Alternate History. The first book that comes to mind is Leviathan by Scott Westerfield. I know this series can also be classified under Steampunk, which makes it even better! Although the Alternate History part is what first drew me in. I am a fan of books with historical elements in it but I have yet to read any books with an alternate version of the past, other than fantasy books that play on elements of the past. Little bit of extra info here: the one kind of historical novel I am not a big fan of is historical romance! I don't know why but I have never liked it, despite hearing Kristy talk about it all the time! ;)


The third and final genre I will be talking about in this post is Horror...ah I don't even want to include it because just thinking about it scares me! Little bit of backstory: I am the BIGGEST wimp when it comes to anything scary. I don't watch horror movies or shows, I don't like ghost stories, I don't go to haunted houses, and I don't read much horror at all! You guys don't even want to know how many times I have screamed because I have rounded a corner in the house and ran into my boyfriend...yeah, it is that bad! I have read 2 or 3 novels with horror aspects but nothing too encompassing. One of my biggest reading goals is to read something by Stephen King! When I was younger I picked up Pet Cemetery and I had to put it down and get it out of my house! I did also have him to blame for about 13 years of massive clown phobia after watching IT. Anyways, I thought that I would give Under the Dome by Stephen King a chance because it seems to have a lot of Sci-fi and Dystopian elements to it which seems like a good place to start. I think out of all the genres in the world this will be the one that will take me the longest to get into, if I ever can. I wish I wasn't such a big baby but c'est la vie. I am working on it, little by little.

Well, that is all for this post! Let me know what genres you would like to read more of and also let me know any book recommendations you may have for any of the ones I mentioned above!

Judith <3

No comments:

Post a Comment