Saturday, January 4, 2014

Review: Legend by Marie Lu



Tittle: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Series: Legend #1
Year: 2011
Pages: 320
Format: Hardcover

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills. ~Goodreads


Let's begin by saying that I know I am extremely late jumping on this bandwagon! EVERYONE has been raving about this series for some time now and I honestly have no idea why I waited so long to pick it up. A couple weeks ago I went to the bookstore with my boyfriend but Barnes & Noble didn't have any of the books I had intended on purchasing so I happened to pick up Legend instead. I started reading it for the Christmas Booktube-a-thon and could not put it down! I finished it in a couple of hours!

MY THOUGHTS:

I went into this story not knowing much about it and not really expecting any particular thing from it. I was a blank slate, and I am really glad. I prefer to go into books with as little knowledge as possible because then all the opinions and feelings I form are completely my own. But anyways, right from the start I loved Day's character. He has this extraordinary will to live, but not solely for himself, but for those around him as well. He is a character that makes you feel, that to some degree most people can relate to. I also really enjoyed his charm and his wit, it made for some pretty funny moments! I enjoyed June's character as well, she was strong and she questioned things often enough that you didn't take her for a simple puppet of the Republic. I do think however that she has a lot more room for character development in the future books, She has a lot to learn about the government and its people and I think this information will alter her way of thinking and her actions further.

I have to say that I quite enjoyed the angle in which the society  was presented. In a lot of Dystopians we see more of the peoples daily lives and how they cope with the society the government has created. I liked that in Legend we learn about society through the government. We get to see the inner workings of the society and who exactly is running it. I often wonder how did a government get this way or why do they do the things they do and so it was fascinating to be reading from within the government. I'm not sure if the other books will continue with this format but I would love to dive deeper into the inner workings of the society.

In this first book we are presented with the idea that there is another side in the war called the Colonies. I would love to further expand on this and get the other perspective on the war. I know that more often than not the grass is not always greener on the other side and I would like to see the other side have it's governmental flaws as well.

I think over all the book was fast-paced and was jammed packed with action. I think Marie Lu did a great job at raising just enough questions that you would be intrigued with out being completely confused. There is great world building and an array of interesting characters. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves Dystopians and is looking for a fresh take on one. I think the eerie part of this novel is that because we see the governmental side of things it makes the society seem even more believable, which is quite frightening to think that something like this could come to pass! I can't wait until I can read Prodigy and Champion.

Now go out and read Legend!!!

Judith <3

No comments:

Post a Comment