Friday, January 24, 2014

Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

17675462 
Title: The Raven Boys
Author: Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Raven Cycle
Year: 2012
Pages: 416
Format: Paperback

 “There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.


Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.
 

 
But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before. ~ Goodreads


I picked up this book after reading the back cover. I've always been one to love the supernatural and mythical so fair enough this book would do. I mean how more paranormal can you get than psychic women, a girl who's kiss means death, and of course, four mysterious boys?

I was pretty psyched to start reading this, however, I was so disappointed that it took about 100 pages just for me to get into it. I swear I picked up the book over five times, read about 5 pages then put it back down. It was really hard for me to get into this one and that doesn't usually happen to me with my books. 

I think the problem was that you had three different story lines from the beginning that led pretty much nowhere and then it got a little confusing. The type of confusing that you can't really tell which way is up or which way is down. It wasn't until the story lines came together the book became a bit more interesting.

Once I passed the 100 page mark, I swear I couldn't tear myself away from it. I kid you not. It really does get so much better and you get to see sides of the characters you didn't know where there, not to mention it really does get creepier. I was a real thriller and it feels like you're being chased, despite not actually being in the book. Strange things begin to happen and old mysteries pop up. I was a little scared and mystified....and even sad. I warn you, I did a bit of crying for one of my favourite characters (not going to say who or what for that matter!!---You'll have to figure that one out on your own).

Blue, the main female protagonist, is a site to be seen. She's your average teen, if this average teen had a psychic for a mom and aunt. She dresses a little funny, but don't let that fool you. She is a strong character, though naive at times. She sure holds her own when it comes to the Raven Boys, especially Gansey, whom she really can't stand. I have to say that as hardheaded as Gansey can be, he's really a good guy. You can count on him for just about everything and he's the glue that holds the group together because Ronan is too hot-headed, Adam is too stubborn for his own good, and Noah is barely even there. 

Something strange is definitely going on in Henrietta, especially when Blue catches her aunt practicing some dark magic. And her own mother is keeping things from her, she even grounded her! Well it's weird when a parent doesn't know how to go by punishment and the daughter has no idea how to be grounded. However, despite the warnings that Blue has been hearing her entire life, she decides to go against her mother's wishes, and her own for that matter, and join forces with the four Raven Boys.

But too many secrets lay before them, trying to cause a rift between the boys and giving each their own hidden agenda that only Blue can help them with. It's all up to her and the Raven Boys to solve the mysteries before them and unlock the secrets before it is too late.

I can't really say much without giving it away, but it really is a great read with romance and mystery. An unexpected thriller...if only you can push through the first hundred pages. Overall, I found it enchanting and a bit scary, but it left me wanting more so I have decided that I will be purchasing the second novel as soon as possible. I really can't wait to see what the next one has in store for the quintet!

Definitely go and read it. I promise that by the end it will all make more sense and you won't be disappointed.


Kristy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment